When the KD Series large diesel industrial generators were unveiled in October of 2016, KOHLER and KOHLER-SDMO also announced the planned expansion for the new line, which would eventually grow to encompass generators as large as 4200kVA (50Hz) and 4000kW (60Hz). Today, based on strong worldwide response to the initially-launched models – utilizing Kohler’s own diesel engines ranging from 800kVA/800kW to 2800kVA/2500kW – KOHLER and KOHLER-SDMO are proud to officially expand the KD Series with the rollout of several new generators ranging up to 3500kVA/3250kW.
“It’s always rewarding to expand a product line in conjunction with strong market response,” said Tom Cromwell, group president-power for Kohler. “Our first wave of KD Series generators really resonated with key influencers in the data center, healthcare, telecommunications and water-treatment segments around the world. And, we’re looking forward to providing these users – and many others – with additional KOHLER-powered options that will deliver a similar mix of durability, fuel efficiency, and the many other benefits that have helped the KD Series to stand out in this competitive global category.”
The newest KD Series diesel industrial generators are powered by two new compact and powerful KOHLER V16 engine models. The KD36V16 is a 16-cylinder engine with 36-liter displacement, which will power the 60Hz KD1250 and KD1350 as well as the 50Hz KD1250, KD1400, and KD1500. The other new engine is the KD83V16, a 16-cylinder model with 83-liter displacement, which will power the 60Hz KD2800, KD3000, and KD3250 as well as the 50Hz KD3100, KD3300, and KD3500. Both engine models deliver highly efficient and dependable performance and feature a modular design for optimal serviceability.
KD Series of Diesel Industrial Generators Continues to Expand
KD Series – Global Success Stories
The KD Series large diesel industrial generators were unveiled by KOHLER and KOHLER-SDMO at a global launch event in Strasbourg, France in October of 2016. Since that time, the new line has been selected by key decision makers in numerous industries worldwide, including the data center, healthcare segments and of course mining application.
Our strengths for mining market:
- Power solutions capabilities on :
- Design (Electrical LV & MV, Mechanical open and containers, installation building and containers)
- Transport to site,
- Installation on site
- Commissioning on site
- Training capabilities, at training centers (US, Europe, Latin America, Asia, South Africa, Western Africa and on site
- Spare parts and technical Support
- Synergies between KOHLER, KOHLER-SDMO and Clarke Energy
Our gensets KD SERIES integrated in a container 40’ are specially adapted for mining environment.
- Compat : reduction of transport costs
- Cooling system with low speed fans mounted in the 40 feet container : low noise level
- Wide access door : useful maintenance
- Heavy duty filters on engine and in the container air inlet : designed for difficult site conditions
- Fuel treatment through separators (centrifugal) and filters (static) systems : safety for the
- Commutable fuel filters when engine is running : maintenance flexibility
- Medium voltage solutions : MV alternator or step-up transformer designed according to your site needs
- Automatic oil filling system : safety for the engine
A few initial success stories are highlighted below.
- 1 KD1100 generator was bought by a company of copper mine based in Magadan.
This is a loyal costumer, as a matter of fact they have already used our product. And because of the rapid availability of this KD1100, KOHLER SDMO was chosen.
This gen-set has been installed in a metallic shelter because of the extreme conditions as the dirt, the snow and the cold.
- 2 KD2500 generators were selected to provide energy in gold field in Australia. These gensets were chosen to provide black start and emergency backup power. The fuel efficiency of the KD SERIES gensets was a strong selling point which make the difference convince in the final decision.
- 22 KD1600 generators were selected for a large data center in Ashburn, Virginia (USA). When completed in late 2017, the complex will encompass six buildings with more than 245,000 square feet and 16 megawatts of critical IT load.
- 11 KD1800 generators were selected by a UK-based data center. The center is owned by a Japanese telecom company, which selected the KD Series based on the compactness of the new line.
- Two KD1800 generators were selected to provide backup power to a major hospital in France. The generators are placed in ISO20 Super Silent containers and will ensure critical systems in the hospital’s many operating rooms maintain power during unplanned outages.
For additional information about the new KOHLER and KOHLER-SDMO large diesel industrial generators, or to locate a nearby dealer, visit www.kdseries.com.
A global force in power solutions since 1920, Kohler is committed to reliable, leading-edge products and comprehensive after-sale support. Kohler’s acquisition of SDMO in 2005 created one of the world’s largest manufacturers of generators and power solutions. The companies collectively have more than 150 years of experience in industrial power and now benefit from global R&D, manufacturing, and sales and service. For additional information, please visit www.KohlerPower.com or www.KohlerSDMO.com.
Founded in 1873 and headquartered in Kohler, Wisconsin, Kohler Co. is one of America’s oldest and largest privately held companies. With more than 55 manufacturing locations worldwide, Kohler is a global leader in the manufacture of engines and power systems; kitchen and bath products; premier cabinetry and tile; and owner/operator of two of the world’s finest five-star hospitality and golf resort destinations in Kohler and St Andrews, Scotland. For more details, please visit www.KOHLER.com.